The first examples of the electric luggage of the 4061 series were purchased in 1956 by ÖBB.
A total of 25 units of this series left the factories of the various manufacturers in 1959. Since the luggage was very rarely used, in 1976 it was reclassified as a 1046 series locomotive. Initially dressed in green with silver trim, this locomotive was used for the light passenger train service. Driving the express trains “Venice” (South Vienna – Tarvisio) and “Mozart” (West Vienna – Munich) recorded exceptional results. They were also used at the head of the “Blauer Enzian” TEE train between Rosenheim and Zell am See and back to Munich.
In the 1970s the red / orange color was introduced and some green locomotives received green reseda decorative lines. Only the locomotive with running number 1046 009 received a livery based on the so-called “Valousek design.”
Since 1987, 13 locomotives have undergone a complete overhaul. These machines were therefore easily distinguished from the old ones by the new locomotive body with a front end doubly folded. While the first three “HG conversion” 1046s still had scissor pantographs, all the others were equipped with modern single-arm pantographs. Subsequently, the scissor pantographs were also replaced with single arm pantographs.
In 2003 the ÖBB terminated the service of all locomotives of the 1046 class.